Dab Pens are similar to dry herb vape pens but are usually even smaller. Rather than vaporizing dry herbs, wax dab pens are used to vaporize concentrates instead. Wax dab pens have a heating coil or heating pad. Dab vape pens are used to provide an experience for the consumption of oils and and concentrates. Here are the components you can expect to find in a standard vape dab pen:
- Mouthpiece – The mouthpiece is there to give you a nice feeling when you bring the dab pen to your lips when using the device. The tips come in all kinds of different sizes and shapes to give you better airflow and balance of temperature when using a wax vape dab pen.
- Atomizer / Heating Coil – This is what makes the vaporizing happen. Wax is placed inside the chamber and on top of the heater of the dab pen. There are many different types of coils for these dab pens.
- Dab Pen Battery / Mod – The Battery or Mod on Wax Dab pens usually share the universal 510 Threaded Connection. This allows you the ability to have a nice selection when looking for the best mod or dab pen battery. With more advanced mods you'll have the ability to control the heating temperature of the heater. You should always check your atomizers heating range before trying on a non-default setting.
How does a Dab Pen Coil Work?
The user will place wax /concentrate into the heating chamber. of the dab pen. When power is provided from the battery, the heating chamber of the dab pen will heat up. When heated to the proper temperatures the concentrate is vaporized, leaving some fats and lipids behind in the dab pen chamber.
Basic Instructions for use
These are basic instructions on how to use a Wax Vape Dab Pen. Always ensure you check your user manual before using your wax vape dab pen for the first time, the method usually changes depending on the device:
- You will need a dab tool and concentrates or your dab pen will just heat, we know you know that:).
- Using the dab tool, scoop a small amount of concentrate onto the dab tool. Use the dabbing tool to place the concentrate into the heating chamber of your dab pen. This is now be ready to vape.
- When you're ready to Vaporize the concentrate, hold the power button on your dab pen and inhale deeply. Most people just inhale with their lungs when using a dab pen.
- Once the Wax has been vaporized, open up the heating chamber and most of the the concentrate should be gone leaving behind some oils. This oil is usually fats and lipids and there is no need to inhale this. You can then repeat the process until you've vaped your desired amount.
- After use, always ensure you clean the dab pen, removing any extract that could be left behind. This could risk drying up and causing issues within the heating chamber.
How to find the best Wax or Vaporizer Dab Pen for your Needs
Dab Pens have many different components, features and functions that you'll want to understand before you find the best wax vape dab pen for you.
We will break everything down below, telling you everything you need to know before you get your first wax vape dab pen:
- Types of Atomizers or Heaters
- Wicked – Similar to sub ohm vape pens, wicked atomizers have a coil within them with a wicking material. Coming with either a single or double wicked style these atomizers are best for more liquid or fluid concentrates. The concentrate is soaked into the wick, then vaporized .
- Wickless – This is the more common atomizer or heater style for wax vape dab pens. Used for more solid and thicker concentrates, wickless atomizers have a rod within them usually made out of ceramic or quartz. The Rod provides a huge amount of heat around them, vaporizing anything within a close proximity. Wickless atomizers or heaters come in 2 different materials: Ceramic and Quartz, both of which typically provide a single, duo or triple rod structure. The more rods, the higher the temperature and heating radius. The rods job is to hold the heating element usually made of nicrom wire.
- Flat Ceramic Dish – This is the latest technology found in wax vape dab pens. Essentially, the coils into the ceramic for a longer heater life, and also removes the exposed wire elements. This is the safest heating method found in Wax Dab Pens to date. It also provides a more well-rounded flavorful vapor. With these you will notice that an oil is left behind. That is the fats and lipids, no need to try to vape that.
- Batteries / Mods – As well as Atomizers or Heaters, wax vape dab pens come with different options. The majority of wax vape dab pens feature the universal 510 threaded connection; this allows you to put any 510 connected battery onto the base of your wax dab pen. Always make sure your heating chamber is compatible with the temperature of the battery.
- Wax Dab Pen Batteries – Featuring a 510 threaded connection, a wax vape dab pen battery will typically be a standard battery that comes with your device in the kit. These are the safest to use, due to their limited temperature setting. It has been tested and set to the perfect temperature balance for your device. These will typically come within a range of 900mAh to 1300mAh.
- Variable Voltage Batteries – These batteries or more commonly known as "Mods" are only for advanced users. Featuring a 510 threaded connection these mods can be used on pretty much any type of dabbing vaporizer. Allowing you to choose your desired voltage, wattage or temperature setting at the click of a button. A mod gives the user a huge amount of control over the vapor production of their device, however, opens them up to a lot more issues and risks. Heating chambers and atomizers have a desired heating range, when using a custom mod you will need to be aware if you go outside of this range. Always ensure you know the heating range before changing any settings.
- Magnetic Connections – Traditionally, all of the connections on a vaporizer are 510 threaded. With wax vape dab pens, it's becoming more and more common see the devices opting for a newer magnetic connection for the tip at least. This gives the user the ability to easily access the heating chamber, without having to unscrew something every time. The battery will still be 510 threaded.